Thursday, July 5, 2007

This Isn't Easy, But I Need to Say Goodbye to Cheap Burritos


Image Source: Morton Fox

As much as it does hurt me to say this, I think I am ready to move on to a better burrito. I've been waffling over the past couple of weeks, ever since having a pretty damn nice burrito at That Little Mexican Cafe.

While I'm no dietician, I think their burritos are pretty healthy, too. At least in relative terms. I'm talking peas, potatoes, carrots, light on the cheese. It's a different experience. Sitting squarely in my late 30s with the corresponding slowing metabolism and the sadly more-sedentary-than-not lifestyle, this is an important criterion to consider.

But the 'healthy' burrito also tastes good. I was surprised, but it's true. And, importantly, eating one of these doesn't carry the mandatory sentence of a 3-round title bout with the porcelain the next day. No question - that fact alone is worth the extra $3 you shell out for the 'healthy' burrito.

Nonetheless, I don't make this decision lightly. Moving to Chicago ~10 years ago after living in Boston and D.C., it was the 24-hour burrito joints that I was most excited about. Not the Cubs, not the Lake, not the new job I was starting. Burrito stands on every corner. Many open 24-hours. This was unheard of. I felt a little like Columbus must have upon sighting the new world: A marvelous bounty, all for me.

In those ten years I'd say I've had roughly 200 of those burritos. From El Palmar, Don Quijote, El Norte, Taqueria Uptown, ... you get the idea.

But it's time to move on. I'm going to try and be strong.

No comments: